The following are Travel & Leisure recommendations of special family destinations, ranging from a mega resort with a waterpark in the Bahamas to a charming hotel with a private beach in Cape May, N.J.:
· The Atlantis Hotel in the Bahamas comes with a 141 acre waterpark called “Aquaventure” which pumps over 20 million gallons of water over its maze of slides. It is also home to over 40 restaurants and bars, a 63 slip marina, and offers many sports and entertainment options. Many outdoor lagoons and aquariums can also be found on the property.
· The Portola Hotel & Spa in Monterey, CA, is a waterfront retreat consisting of 379 newly remodeled rooms which overlook the magnificent central California coast. This is a kid friendly hotel that offers a Pirates Program that takes young “crewmembers” on scavenger hunts and local explorations. The world class Monterey Bay Aquarium and the stunning redwood forests in nearby Big Sur are some of the surrounding “can’t miss” attractions.
· The Fairmont Hotel in Washington, D.C. is located within a mile of the White House and next to Georgetown. It is home to 415 rooms with original art, a 17,500 sq foot fitness center, and Juniper restaurant where guests go to enjoy comfort food. Kids love checking out the giant pandas at the nearby National Zoo. Pandas are close to extinction with only about 1,600 still living worldwide.
· The Ritz-Carlton, Reynolds Plantation in Lake Oconee, GA, is well known for its world class golf courses. This lush resort sits on 10,000 acres along the shore of Lake Oconee, only 75 miles from Atlanta. The resort offers 251 rooms, designed as if they belonged in an upscale country home with antique reproductions, richly colored fabrics, Frette bed linens, and roomy granite and marble baths. Favorite kid activities include kayaking on the dazzling lake and eating s’mores around a campfire.
· Congress Hall in Cape May, NJBusiness Management Articles, has 108 rooms with a “guest only” beach which makes crowd concerns a non issue. This historic beachside hotel sits on a sweeping lawn overlooking the Atlantic. It recently underwent an extensive $26 million renovation. This seaside town offers charming salt water taffy shops and activities including fishing and bird watching.